These crumbly, vegan shortbread cookies are not only a great way to showcase beautiful edible summer flowers, but they pair perfectly with a hot cup of tea or coffee, or your favorite dairy-free milk. They’re simple, quick and the star of the show at any midsummer get together.
Prep time: 1 hr 20 min
Cook time: 10 min
Makes rougly 16 cookies depending on the size of your cutter
- ¾ cold vegan butter or margarine, plus 2 tbsp
- ½ C vegan sugar of your choice*
- 2 C all purpose flour, plus more for dusting**
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract (optional)
*Use any dry vegan sugar substitute – I do not recommend using agave or maple syrup because they are too wet and will alter the end result
**You can also use whole wheat, but I have not tried any gluten free flours…feel free to experiment!
- Preheat oven to 350º and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together ¾ C butter, sugar, salt and extract until well combined.
- Gradually add flour until it is just combined, then use your hands to bring it all together. Do your best to form it into a ball, and although it’ll be crumbly, it will all come together later.
- Wrap tightly in two layers of plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour. If you refrigerate overnight, take your dough out and let it rest on the counter for 15-20 minutes to soften. Do not leave it out for longer than 20 minutes, or it will begin to fall apart.
- Once the dough is softened, use your hands to incorporate the additional 2 tbsp of cold butter. This will bind everything further to make it easier to roll out.
- Roll dough on a flour-dusted surface with a rolling pin, then use a 3 inch circular cookie cutter or the rim of a small glass to create your cookie shape. Be sure to flour the dough, the surface you’re using and the rolling pin throughout to prevent sticking. Repeat until all or most of the dough is used.
- Transfer your cookies to the baking sheet, and begin to tear petals or place small flowers onto the surface and lightly press down to stick them to the dough. Place your cookies in the refrigerator for an additional 20 minutes, or the freezer for 10.
- Remove your cookies from the refrigerator/freezer, place them in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the bottom edges become lightly browned.
And that’s that! If you make this or any other recipes featured here, use #killertofublog on social media!